1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Diego Corrales Dies in Motorcycle Accident

By May 8, 2007

Diego Corrales Jose Luis CastilloFormer champ Diego Corrales, who climbed off the canvas to score a KO in one of the greatest fights in boxing history, has died in a motorcycle accident near his Las Vegas home. Corrales, 29, was driving a 2007 Suzuki 1000 motorcycle when he hit the back of a 1997 Honda Accord and was tossed from the bike. Reports indicate a Mercedes traveling in the opposite direction was unable to avoid striking both Corrales and the bike. The accident occurred around 7:30 p.m and there is no indication that either drugs or alcohol was involved.

Corrales compiled a career record of 40-5 and held world titles at both junior lightweight and lightweight. He will be most remembered, however, for his fight with Jose Luis Castillo on May 7, 2005 -- exactly two years before he died. Both fighters dished out and absorbed tremendous punishment over the first nine rounds. Corrales was knocked down twice in the tenth and appeared on the verge of being stopped. But Corrales got up after the second knockdown and - in the very same round - scored one of the most shocking knockouts in boxing history. The bout was named the 2005 Fight of the Year.

The Castillo fight was the last win of Corrales' career. After struggling for years to make weight at 135, Corrales jumped up two weight classes to welterweight (147) for what turned out to be his final bout -- a unanimous decision loss to Joshua Clottey in which Corrales took a beating over ten one-sided rounds.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH ROUND TEN OF DIEGO CORRALES - JOSE LUIS CASTILLO I

photo: MIGHTYP4P via YouTube

Comments

May 8, 2007 at 12:49 pm
(1) GAD says:

jesus christ. RIP DIEGO. SO VERY SHOCKED TO HERE THIS NEWS..SO SAD..YOU LEFT YOUR MARK MY BRUV. GOD BLESS. GAD .UGLYLOVE

May 8, 2007 at 1:41 pm
(2) Ben Wiser says:

RIP Diego. You will be missed. Boxing can only hope for more of you.

May 8, 2007 at 1:46 pm
(3) danny says:

god bless diego, you brought so much joy to so many fans and triumphed in the greatest fight ever.
rip “chico”

May 8, 2007 at 2:45 pm
(4) Haggisdog says:

An incredible tragedy… not the way he should have gone. The boxing world will sorely miss him.

May 8, 2007 at 3:45 pm
(5) Geosworld says:

My thoughts & prayers go out to Diego’s Family.

May 8, 2007 at 6:45 pm
(6) MMAFighter says:

:( Horrible news, I am in complete shock. Rest in peace, my prayers are sent.

May 8, 2007 at 7:26 pm
(7) CED says:

DIEGO: R.I.P my heart goes out to the Corrales family and all of his loved ones I didnt know DIEGO personally but, If boxing speaks on be half of your character, then I saw that YOU WERE A STAND UP TYPE OF GUY!!!( R.I.P CHAMPION)

May 8, 2007 at 10:22 pm
(8) Tonio says:

R.I.P Diego it sure was a pleasure having met you through Cycle Gear. May God bless you and your survivors You left a mark on this planet

May 8, 2007 at 10:47 pm
(9) victor dominguez says:

DIEGO WAS A REAL FIGHTER NOT A RUNNER LIKE THE SO CALLED # 1 POUND FOR POUND FIGHTER.REST IN PEACE DIEGO YOU WILL BE MISSED

May 8, 2007 at 10:54 pm
(10) Charles J. Crump, Jr. says:

I remember watching Diego “Chico” Corrales fight on several occasions. The very first time that I saw him fight was against Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and I must say that he showed tremendous heart in that fight.Pound for pound: He was a good fighter with the biggest heart in the world. Win or lose: He was one tough fighter. His family is going through a great deal and they have my sympathy and my condolences. Chico showed alot of heart in every fight that he had. It did not matter who the opponent was: he did not care-he came to fight. It would have been an honor to see him fight alot of the top fighters in his weight class. Chico, I know that you are in a better place now. Enjoy that boxing ring in the sky. One love. Rest In Peace.

May 8, 2007 at 10:57 pm
(11) Charles J. Crump, Jr. says:

I remember watching Diego “Chico” Corrales fight on several occasions. The very first time that I saw him fight was against Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and I must say that he showed tremendous heart in that fight. Pound for pound: He was a good fighter with the biggest heart in the world. Win or lose: He was one tough fighter. His family is going through a great deal and they have my sympathy and my condolences. Chico showed alot of heart in every fight that he had. It did not matter who the opponent was: he did not care-he came to fight. It would have been an honor to see him fight alot of the top fighters in his weight class. Chico, I know that you are in a better place now. Enjoy that boxing ring in the sky. One love. Rest In Peace.

May 8, 2007 at 11:15 pm
(12) SANTOS ARANDA says:

heart of a champion never underestimated this what chico represented. many will try to be like you but theres only one chic..R.I.P.

May 8, 2007 at 11:17 pm
(13) SANTOS ARANDA says:

R.I.P. THE HEART OF A CHAMPION

May 9, 2007 at 7:30 am
(14) Ken Hissner says:

A total warrior in the ring and a controversial figure out. The fight game will miss him.

May 9, 2007 at 9:50 am
(15) Jason says:

RIP Diego,thanks for the memory of the greatiest boxing match in recent history….You will be missed

May 9, 2007 at 11:44 am
(16) ANEL says:

RIP DIEGO MAY GOD BE WITH YOU AND THE ANGELS FOLLOW YOU TO PEACE.
WE WILL MISS YOU.

May 9, 2007 at 1:41 pm
(17) Tg says:

Had been my favorite boxer since i can remember. Your heart and determination are an inspiration to all you have watched you in the ring. You are one of the greats. Rest in peace.

May 9, 2007 at 5:08 pm
(18) noirnoticvibe says:

my family has put his family in prayer in this truly sad uneventful moment….he will sorely be missed, he gave boxing his heart in every fight win or lose….and we are the ones who won by getting a chance to see his light shine in a world we all love BOXING….will miss MR. DIEGO CORRALES…WORLD CHAMPION

May 9, 2007 at 6:47 pm
(19) Joey Archer Fan says:

Oh Man! Just awful. Diego had the heart of a lion and was talented and amazingly intelligent. The sport has lost one of its stars. This is just so sad.

May 9, 2007 at 7:42 pm
(20) kami says:

i don’t beleive it! a great fighter, a great battler who never turned down a challenge and gave us, the fans, what we wanted – glorious battles. i don’t think we realise how much we are going to miss him. r.i.p.

May 9, 2007 at 7:52 pm
(21) rocky says:

man bro those damn bikes are no good we just lost a baseball player .. god bless .fans from cape cod ma,

May 10, 2007 at 12:40 am
(22) Harvey hopkins says:

R.i.P Diego you are a true champion,and was a good role modle to my son Aryan,my prayers are with your loving family.you are a true worrior.ride on my friend

May 10, 2007 at 12:39 pm
(23) Lisa says:

Diego will be sorely missed. He was my favorite; watched all his fights. He seemed like a really nice guy – both in and out of the ring. My heart goes out to his family.

May 10, 2007 at 1:43 pm
(24) Aryan Hopkins says:

Only the good die young.the things you’ve done and the people you’ve inspired carry on memories that last forever….”THANK YOU”

May 11, 2007 at 4:31 am
(25) Rodbar says:

Besides being a real warrior with tremedous heart and skill,I greatly admired his public honesty and openness as he grew in stature.Thank you Diego for all you gave! RIP

May 19, 2007 at 9:37 pm
(26) BRIA says:

I love this guy. He was good for the sport. He will always remain one of the sport true WARRIORS. RIP.

I’ll forget you Chico!

May 19, 2007 at 10:55 pm
(27) Kecia says:

What a shame…Another legend lost. My husband & I just got rid of our motorcycles because so many things are happening. Drivers have no respect for the riders. I never met “Chico” but he was an awesome fighter. I have watched boxing ever since I was a litle girl & I LOVE the sport. It touched my heart to see someone who has gone through the what’s seems to be the worst overcome it ALL to die just like that. He was robbed of so much. All the bad seems to happen to the good ones. My prayers go out to his pregnant wife, unborn child, his other children along w/family. We all know that once GOD takes control of your life & you enter his kingdom, he has you watching over all the others down here on earth. Chico is ALWAYS going to be around. It may not be physically, but mentally, he’s here FOREVER!!!!! RIP…

May 28, 2007 at 2:35 pm
(28) GLENN says:

the reason to watch boxing has just gone on to a better place!!!!

June 10, 2007 at 10:39 am
(29) Andy says:

I didn’t know Corrales personnally, but he gave us his heart and his best in the ring. He will be missed buy everyone in my household. “A GREAT PERSON”. YOU MAY RIP.

October 1, 2007 at 1:51 pm
(30) bobby jones says:

a correctional officer at the prison diego was serving his sentence.I send my condolences, and pray for the peace of God to rest upon his family. I will miss his championship spirit, and pure excitement he brought to the boxing world.I can say from the heart he was not only a good boxer, but a good man aswell.
much Love
C/O B. Jones

December 16, 2008 at 7:10 pm
(31) ron st louis says:

dame’not a day goes by that i dont miss u homie. apart of me left with you.i miss calling you.talking about boxing . u making me laugh. you left us with a special part of you’ diego jr, diego, he looks so mush like you it,s crazy, an sis had him on my birthday.thankyou,when i see him i think of you.i wish this was a bad dream, an i could wake up. but it,s not, but i do have alot of good memory of you.and someday i,ll be able to share them with jr, when i said you and sis where genuine i mint that well de keep watching over me and family,r.i.p diego god has you now, no one can harm you now, ron an lisa st, louis

September 27, 2009 at 8:49 am
(32) dave says:

Thanks for having a meaningless career full of fights with nobodys and loses to the 3 people that you did manage to gain enough testicular fortitude to get your ass kicked by. No loss to the boxing world, thats for sure, but still sucks ya died buddy.

October 5, 2009 at 8:28 am
(33) keatch guivelondo says:

i was so shock about this news, i was trying to think what if corrales was able to fight manny paquiao they have the save weight level…. i know that his a great fighter and manny is also a great fighter too…..

March 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm
(34) kev ryder jnr says:

diego corrales was my hero i am now 24 years old and been boxing since i was 7 years old and chico is a big miss and hope he is looking down with a smile rest in peace diego from kev ryder jnr R.I.P

June 4, 2010 at 6:55 pm
(35) Josh says:

My wife and I saw your last fight against Clottey. You truly were a warrior my friend. Contrary to what low class people like Dave above say, you will be missed.