After an uneventful first round, Hopkins missed with a right hand and draped himself across the back of Dawson. When Dawson shrugged/shoved Hopkins off, the 46-year-old was lifted off his feet and landed awkwardly on his left elbow. Hopkins immediately grimaced in pain and made no attempt to get to his feet or continue fighting.
Referee Pat Russell ruled that there there was no foul and therefore ruled the the fight a TKO win for Dawson. A no decision would seem to have been the correct call as the bout was not decided by anything resembling a punch.
Neither fighter was satisfied with the outcome or the decision. Dawson, who wanted to be the first fighter to legitimately stop Hopkins, claimed that Hopkins was faking and that there would be no rematch. Dawson's preference is a rematch with Jean Pascal to try to avenge the only defeat of his professional career.
Hopkins claimed that his shoulder had been dislocated but that he told the referee he wanted to continue with one arm. He probably was hurt but there's no audio or video evidence that he had any interest in continuing the fight. Hopkins clearly expected the bout to be ruled a no decision.
Don't be shocked if the California State Athletic Commission justifiably changes the result to a no decision. However, they might also call for a mandatory rematch. No thanks. Once was more than enough.
On the undercard:
* Antonio DeMarco, trailing on all three scorecards, stopped Jorge Linares in the 11th round to win the vacant WBC lightweight title.
* Undefeated junior welterweight Danny Garcia scored a 12 round split decision against former beltholder Kendall Holt.
* Welterweight Paulie Malignaggi won a one-sided 10 round decision over Orlando Lora.
* Cruiserweight Dewey Bozella made his pro debut at age 52 after serving 26 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. Bozella won a four-round decision against Larry Hopkins in what he says will be his "first and last fight".
* Junior middleweight Freddy Hernandez scored a ten round unanimous decision to upset former welterweight beltholder Luis Collazo.
* Welterweight Nick Casal dropped Michael Anderson twice en route to a third round TKO.
* Middleweight Donyil Livingston won a six round decision over Kurtis Colvin.